A recent article published by the American Family Association discusses the rise of humanism, atheism, and secularism and the disappearance of Christian values among teenagers. The number of adults who identify as Christian continues to drop, according to various polls, but most concerning was the statistic from a Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll:
"...only 30% of young adults ages 18-38 said religion or a belief in God was very important to them."
The article from AFA explains why the disappearance of Christian values matters for our society at large:
"This presents a sobering challenge for Christians in the U.S. If they do not want their cultural life stripped bare of all biblical values, they need to take seriously the Great Commission. It’s time to win the lost and make disciples, before the freedom to do so is lost."
Furthermore, teenagers are rejecting Christian values at higher rates than all other age groups.
They are more likely to identify as atheist or agnostic (21 percent vs. 15 percent), and most think church attendance is unimportant, according to research by the Barna Group.
Conventional media outlets, however, continue to encourage the decline in faith praising the increase in "tolerance" and emotional health for teens who reject religion.
- Popular media and celebrities like Taylor Swift and Aaron Rodgers, continue to water down Christianity by twisting the truth or to reject it altogether. This sends the message that Christianity is not trendy, which leads many young people to question their faith or not even want to consider Jesus. Without the tools and encouragement to remain in Christ, many will leave the Church and never return or never step foot into a church. Reminder: We believers ARE the church.
- Much of today's pop culture endorses Satanism, witchcraft, violence, and other anti-God messages and makes it super difficult for young people to believe in God when He's mocked or completely erased from a majority of media
- Rejection of Christian values loosely correlates with an increased acceptance of socialism.
"A separate Gallup poll last year revealed that, while 43% of all Americans said some version of socialism would be good for the country, some 58% of people ages 18 to 34 wanted it."
- Give your children a strong biblical education and an encouraging community of believers so when confronted with alternate views of religion, they can speak confidently on why Christ is the only true answer.
- Here are some resources for strenthenging the faith of your kids:
- COMMENT on this alert to share your ideas with the CCM Community for strengthening the faith of young people and thereby fulfilling the Great Commission.
INFORM US HERE of any positive or negative pop culture that we need to be aware of. We will make sure that all families in our network get the info! If we missed something in this write up, let us know and we will update this review. Thanks!
Please share this alert by clicking on the SHARE button above.